Quick Hits: April 20, 2021
1) After a complete off-day on Monday, the Flyers return to the Skate Zone in Voorhees today. Today is the second of three consecutive idle nights on the game schedule; the first time the team has had more than one night off since Feb. 25 and 26. On Thursday and Friday, the Flyers are at Madison Square Garden to play the New York Rangers. Next week, the Flyers play three straight games (home on Sunday, away on Tuesday and Thursday) against the New Jersey Devils to close out the April portion of the schedule.
2) The Lehigh Valley Phantoms, who have had four straight games postponed by the American Hockey League to a COVID-19 situation on the team, returned to practice yesterday. The Phantoms (12-3-2) are slated to return to game action this week with a home game at the PPL Center on Wednesday against the Hershey Bears (15-5-2) and a road match on Friday against the Binghamton Devils (5-10-6) at the Barnabas Hockey House located inside the Prudential Center in Newark, NJ. On Saturday, the venue switches to the PPL Center for a rematch with the Devils. On Monday, April 26, the Phantoms will play the Devils yet again; this time for the completion of the final 40 minutes of the suspended March 10 game in Newark. The score will be 1-1 and the clock will be set the start of the second period.
3) Cam York has been reassigned to the Phantoms by the Flyers. With the Phantoms in temporary pause mode, he was called up to the Flyers' Taxi Squad over the weekend to get some skating time in at the Skate Zone in Voorhees. The team's 2019 first-round pick should make his pro debut for the Phantoms this week. He'd been off the ice since COVID-19 forced the University of Michigan Wolverines to withdraw from the NCAA Frozen Four tournament. York himself did not test positive.
4) The Flyers have launched the NHL's first COVID-19 education campaign, called "Take Your Shot". The program was created in partnership with Penn Medicine, the Black Doctors COVID-19 Consortium, and the City of Philadelphia. On Thursday of this week, there will be walk-up vaccination event from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. EDT at the Liacouras Center at Temple University (my alma mater). The event is being under the direction of Dr. Ala Stanford; the founder and director of the Black Doctors Consortium. We will have an article on the vaccination event upcoming on the Flyers' official website. For an overview of the Take Your Shot program itself and for information on planning a COVID-19 vaccine if you have not already been vaccinated, click here
5) ICYMI: Last week, USA Hockey announced that it has selected Philadelphia as the host locale for the 2021 USA Hockey Warrior Classic tournament. The games will be held in South Jersey in Voorhees (Skate Zone) and Sewell (Hollydell Ice Arena) on Nov. 4 to Nov. 6, 2021. The host team is the Philadelphia Flyers Warriors, who won their tier championship at the 2019 USA Hockey Warrior Classic in Las Vegas. There was no 2020 tournament due to the pandemic. For more information, click here
6) Happy birthday wishes go out to Flyers defenseman Shayne Gostisbehere, who turns 28 today.