Follow me on Twitter
Detroit so far - 19-27-10
0 games remaining
My prediction from January - 19 wins
Current place - 25th
First round pick without lottery win - between 7 and 9 *Seattle will have a pick, possibly in the top 3. This could push Detroit back one more spot
I was not happy
with CBJ’s decision to play a goalie with zero NHL experience two nights in a row. The game, for me, was awful to watch. Some of you disagree (I respect where you’re coming from). Regardless, the season is now officially over. Take deep cleansing breaths and prepare yourselves for a fairly busy summer. 20+ free agents, a draft, an expansion draft, coaching decisions, and teams that are already way over next year’s cap.
In a fully expected magical twist, Tampa will be getting Stamkos’s and Kucherov back at the same time and ready for the first round of the playoffs. The league has said any such “miracles” will be investigated. Should something be done about the “Patrick Kane Rule” to keep teams from manipulating the salary cap? Just a side not, let me know.
So now, it’s prediction time! In January I published that I thought Detroit would get 19 wins this year. Obviously that ended up being the case, but what I didn’t expect is how many teams would be in worse shape. At this point, Detroit will be picking between 7 and 9 unless the balls bounce the right way. This draft is a bit upside down as scouting for anyone in North America has been almost zero. The difference in players available even after 3 or 4 is negligible. I believe Yzerman will grab best available. Seider looks really good (and actually scored more goals than Raymond this season at 7 to Raymond’s six). Raymond is going to need some AHL time. Unless Detroit gets the first overall, whoever the team gets is probably 2 or 3 seasons away from skating with Detroit. This draft is going to be a bit more difficult to guess, but I’ll give you all a shot. Last year Sven correctly guessed that Detroit would take Raymond. So, here are the questions I want you to post answers to in the comments. I will keep track of all of the answers and send some blog love your way if you end up being right.
1. - Draft position - where will Detroit pick this year? There are some people that think this is the year the Wings will see some love on lottery day. If things stay the same, Detroit will pick 7-9. If any teams pass us it could be lower. and, of course, a win could give us 1 or 2.
2. - Who will Detroit draft? This is trickier. Let me know what you think.
3. - who will be the coach? Will Blashill get an extension? Should Yzerman call Tortorella? Brind’amour is off the market due to his immense character. He looks to be taking 1.8 million for 3 years. He could probably have made 5 or more on the open market. But, before he agreed to terms, he negotiated for every single coaching staff and training staff member first. He wanted to make sure they all were taken care of before he signed for himself. That is beyond rare. The team is very lucky to have him. Let me know who you think will be behind Detroit’s bench next year.
4. RFA deals - I did a write up on Detroit’s RFAs
. Let me know your thoughts. Long term deal for Vrana? What type of ? Another 1 year deal for Bertuzzi? Do you think any RFAs will end up in Seattle? Any trades? Let me know
5. UFAs - Here is my last write up on UFAs
. Who do you think is coming back (if anyone)? I could see Glendening and Ryan getting another deal. Glenny could generate interest on the open market too. I think Helm, Filppula, Gagner, Staal and Biega are probably going to move on. Bernier is UFA, should we bring him back?
6. Buyouts - Yzerman surprised a lot of people buying out Abdelkader. Will he do the same with Nielsen this year? Final year of his contract
7. Expansion draft - who do you think will be going? I’ve had someone suggest Svechnikov in the comments. Would Yzerman make a deal to send an RFA if Seattle took Nielsen? Let me know what you think will happen.
8. Market Free Agents - is there anyone that you think Yzerman could try to acquire on the open market?Here is the list from Cap Friendly
. Obviously Ovechkin isn’t going anywhere but DC. Are there any names that pique your interest? Dougie Hamilton is my favorite UFA D man but I don’t see that one happening
We’ll do some more interactive posts as we’re into the offseason. Maybe even some prizes, so keep an eye out!
Check out my previous blogs:
Columbus vs Detroit pregame
Bobby Ryan not ready to retire
Svechnikov Mic’d up
The Final Stretch
Wings vs lightning post game
Wings vs Lightning Pregame