Quick Hits: May 12, 2019
1) On Sunday morning (U.S. time), Team USA cruised to a 7-1 win over France at the 2019 IIHF World Championships in Slovakia. James van Riemsdyk assisted on the first two goals by Alex DeBrincat. JVR later had a semi-breakaway in which he shot wide. Frank Vatrano, Colin White (two goals), Patrick Kane, and Chris Kreider also scored for Team USA. Thatcher Demko took a shutout into the third period before France scored in a scramble at the net. Team USA evened up their tournament record at 1-1-0.
2) Austria fell to 0-2 in the tournament with a 5-0 loss to Russia on Sunday. Flyers left winger Michael Raffl scored Austria's first goal in a 5-2 defeat on Saturday at the hands of Latvia.
3) Team Czech Republic is idle on Sunday after opening the tourney with a 5-2 win over Sweden and a 7-2 blowout victory over France. Flyers right winger Jakub Voracek has four assists in the first two games (two apiece in each game).
4) On Sunday afternoon, Team Canada (Sean Couturier, Carter Hart, head coach Alain Vigneault) will play massive underdog Great Britain. Team Sweden (Oskar Lindblom, Robert Hägg) go up against another major underdog, Italy. Lindblom scored his first World Championships goal in the tourney opening loss to the Czechs.
5) Over on the Flyers official website, I took a look at Nolan Patrick's 2018-19 season, his self-assessment and outlook moving forward: click here
6) OHL Finals Game 6: The Guelph Storm, featuring team captain Isaac Ratcliffe, will look to complete a final-round upset of the Ottawa 67's on Sunday afternoon. After losing the first two games of the series against an Ottawa team that started out the playoffs winning 14 straight games, Guelph has won each of the last three games. Ratcliffe has scored 12 goals in his team's playoff run.
7) Today in Flyers History: On May 12, 1974, the Flyers took a two games to one lead in the Stanley Cup Final against the Boston Bruins with a 4-1 win at the Spectrum. Bernie Parent stopped 24 of 25 shots to earn the victory, while Tom Bladon (power play), Terry Crisp, Orest Kindrachuk and Ross Lonsberry scored for Philly. Rick MacLeish earned two assists. For more, click here
8) May 12 Flyers Alumni birthday: Dmitry Afanasenkov (1980).