Wanna blog? Start your own hockey blog with My HockeyBuzz. Register for free today!

Forums :: Blog World :: HockeyBuzz Hotstove: Thoughts on the Jason Zucker trade?
HockeyBuzz Hotstove

Feb 11 @ 10:51 AM ET
HockeyBuzz Hotstove: Thoughts on the Jason Zucker trade?
MattStrat
Pittsburgh Penguins

Feb 11 @ 10:57 AM ET
Tanner gets it in this one...
Za Warudo
Pittsburgh Penguins

Feb 11 @ 11:13 AM ET
Tanner gets it in this one...
- MattStrat

Agree. Also helps that the Pens are unparalleled in terms of getting late rounders to pay off.
Hossa1881
Chicago Blackhawks

Feb 11 @ 11:16 AM ET
HockeyBuzz Hotstove: Thoughts on the Jason Zucker trade?
- ToddCordellVAN

I actually don't disagree with Tanner for once... Has hell frozen over?!?
Rinosaur
Pittsburgh Penguins

Feb 11 @ 11:30 AM ET
That rare moment when I agree with Tanner. Time to play the lottery.
david22
Ottawa Senators

Feb 11 @ 11:35 AM ET
Wild also may finally be moving in one straight direction, rather than spinning their tires endlessly.
madmike71
Pittsburgh Penguins

Feb 11 @ 11:51 AM ET
I actually don't disagree with Tanner for once... Has hell frozen over?!?
- Hossa1881

Ha ha....yeah.
buster29
New York Islanders

Feb 11 @ 12:35 PM ET
Calling Addison a B level prospect is odd for Penguin fans who thought of him as a future top pairing Dman; but if it makes you feel better about the trade, than good for you. Zucker will only be as good as Sid makes him.
Coburns_Nose
Philadelphia Flyers

Feb 11 @ 12:40 PM ET
1st round pick + recent 2nd round pick = "essentially nothing"
sensarmy_11

Feb 11 @ 12:42 PM ET

I think this trade was great for the Penguins and just OK for the Wild. The Penguins gave up a pending UFA who was recently playing on their 4th line and they get 3.5 years of control of a legitimate first line winger.

how is Zucker, a 20 goal 40 pt guy, a "legitimate first line winger"? He had one single great year (and by "great year", I mean 60 pts), and other than that has been a "pretty good" player

at best, he's a good 2nd line winger, or a great 3rd line winger.......the pens gave up too much, especially considering how bare their cupboards are.
MattStrat
Pittsburgh Penguins

Feb 11 @ 12:52 PM ET

- Coburns_Nose

Well theyre obviously something but good chance of them being nothing, or nothing special, especially the pick.

MattStrat
Pittsburgh Penguins

Feb 11 @ 12:54 PM ET
how is Zucker, a 20 goal 40 pt guy, a "legitimate first line winger"? He had one single great year (and by "great year", I mean 60 pts), and other than that has been a "pretty good" player

at best, he's a good 2nd line winger, or a great 3rd line winger.......the pens gave up too much, especially considering how bare their cupboards are.

- sensarmy_11

Pretty sure he's had some of the best 5 on 5 defense numbers for forwards the past few years....plus that production and skating ability.

Also, if it's 20 goals, 40 points and mainly all of those at 5 on 5 then that is totally 1st line production.
sensarmy_11

Feb 11 @ 12:59 PM ET
Pretty sure he's had some of the best 5 on 5 defense numbers for forwards the past few years....plus that production and skating ability.

Also, if it's 20 goals, 40 points and mainly all of those at 5 on 5 then that is totally 1st line production.

- MattStrat

not even close.....roughly 1/3 of his production is on the power play

as for his defensive numbers.....awesome. pageau produces nearly the same, and is excellent defensively, PLUS is great in the dot. can I call him a top line center?

edit - also, he's only been a positive possession player 3 times in his career, and a majority of his starts are in the offensive zone. he's a decent defensive player, but it's not like we're talking Bergeron or Stone here.
Guile

Feb 11 @ 1:04 PM ET

as for his defensive numbers.....awesome. pageau produces nearly the same, and is excellent defensively, PLUS is great in the dot. can I call him a top line center?

edit - also, he's only been a positive possession player 3 times in his career, and a majority of his starts are in the offensive zone. he's a decent defensive player, but it's not like we're talking Bergeron or Stone here.

- sensarmy_11

Nope, fake news right there. A simple Google stat check could have avoided a skate in your mouth. Try 1/6 of the points, not a third.
Hossa1881
Chicago Blackhawks

Feb 11 @ 1:06 PM ET

- sensarmy_11

I think that they just need Zucker to see if he can generate chemistry with Crosby or Malkin, along with not tarnishing the chemistry in the locker room. When you have a couple of generational talents still playing at an elite level and you have a chance to add a talented forward at a reasonable cap hit and you have an opportunity to "overpay" instead of waiting until the trade deadline, how could they afford to not take that opportunity?
James Tanner
Arizona Coyotes

Feb 11 @ 1:07 PM ET

- Coburns_Nose

It's a late first and a B level prospect (A level prospects are 'can't miss'). That's essentially nothing.
Ftown19125
Philadelphia Flyers

Feb 11 @ 1:12 PM ET
Nope, fake news right there. A simple Google stat check could have avoided a skate in your mouth. Try 1/6 of the points, not a third.
- Guile

over the last 3 years it is close to 1/3. he wasn't getting a ton of power play time before 17-18.
sensarmy_11

Feb 11 @ 1:17 PM ET
- Guile

sure, if you include all of his points over his entire career.....i'm strictly talking over the last 2-3 seasons......40pts out 135 have been on the PP, so like about 29-30%
sensarmy_11

Feb 11 @ 1:18 PM ET
I think that they just need Zucker to see if he can generate chemistry with Crosby or Malkin, along with not tarnishing the chemistry in the locker room. When you have a couple of generational talents still playing at an elite level and you have a chance to add a talented forward at a reasonable cap hit and you have an opportunity to "overpay" instead of waiting until the trade deadline, how could they afford to not take that opportunity?
- Hossa1881

i'm not saying he isn't a good player, i'm disputing Tanner's claim that he's a "legitimate 1st line winger"....which he absolutely is not
jmatchett383
Philadelphia Flyers

Feb 11 @ 1:32 PM ET
i'm not saying he isn't a good player, i'm disputing Tanner's claim that he's a "legitimate 1st line winger"....which he absolutely is not
- sensarmy_11

I don't disagree, but Chris Kunitz and Pascal Dupuis were middle-6 guys until they got to Pittsburgh. Hell, Dupuis was essentially a throw-in.
sensarmy_11

Feb 11 @ 1:35 PM ET
I don't disagree, but Chris Kunitz and Pascal Dupuis were middle-6 guys until they got to Pittsburgh. Hell, Dupuis was essentially a throw-in.
- jmatchett383

sure, but you shouldn't pay top line price for a player who's really a 2nd or 3rd line player, in the hopes that maybe he develops into a top line player with Crosby or Malkin
jmatchett383
Philadelphia Flyers

Feb 11 @ 1:39 PM ET
sure, but you shouldn't pay top line price for a player who's really a 2nd or 3rd line player, in the hopes that maybe he develops into a top line player with Crosby or Malkin
- sensarmy_11

I don't think the price was that high (Galchenyuk had basically negative value due to his cap hit for the rest of the year), and the Pens are getting a good 2nd liner who's signed at a good price for the next 3+ years. Cost of doing business.

The Penguins don't care about futures right now, and Marino's emergence made some of their young D expendable. Galchenyuk was on the verge of being a healthy scratch. Addision and the first may or may not ever amount to anything substantial, and not in the next 2-3 years. The Penguins are all-in to win now, and this helps them in that.
MattStrat
Pittsburgh Penguins

Feb 11 @ 1:42 PM ET
- sensarmy_11

Strictly looking at last season he had 14 goals and 14 assists at even strength. He's almost on the money for ES 1st line production last year, which was a down year.

https://www.habseyesonthe...e-nhl-production-analysis
sensarmy_11

Feb 11 @ 2:00 PM ET
Strictly looking at last season he had 14 goals and 14 assists at even strength. He's almost on the money for ES 1st line production last year, which was a down year.

https://www.habseyesonthe...e-nhl-production-analysis

- MattStrat

if 28 EV points is what you're expecting from a 1st line winger, then you probably need to set the bar a little higher.

just looking at your team....guentzel is a "legit 1st line winger" and he had 64 EV pts.

looking at my train wreck of a team, Ryan Dzingel last season (between Ottawa and CBJ) had about 45 EV pts, and I wouldn't even consider him a "legit 1st line winger".

hell, even according to your link (which is a ridiculous article), he still falls short of the BARE MINIMUM at EV to be considered a legit 1st liner

is he a good player - ABSOLUTELY

is he a legit first line player - there is literally nothing about his game that is 1st line calibre
MattStrat
Pittsburgh Penguins

Feb 11 @ 2:05 PM ET
if 28 EV points is what you're expecting from a 1st line winger, then you probably need to set the bar a little higher.

just looking at your team....guentzel is a "legit 1st line winger" and he had 64 EV pts.

looking at my train wreck of a team, Ryan Dzingel last season (between Ottawa and CBJ) had about 45 EV pts, and I wouldn't even consider him a "legit 1st line winger".

- sensarmy_11

Well its nice to cherry pick two guys like that for the purpose of your narrative here today but that doesn't change the fact that there are a lot of other 1st line players producing less than those two you point out. Again, that's also a down year for Zucker.
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next